Paris Saint-Germain dominated Monaco at Parc OL to pocket their 7th Coupe de la Ligue.
As it happened:
- Draxler (0-1, 4’, assisted by Di Maria)
- Lemar (1-1, 27’, assisted by Sidibe)
- Di Maria (1-2, 44’, assisted by Draxler)
- Cavani (1-3, 54’, assisted by Verratti)
- Cavani (1-4, 90’, assisted by Di Maria)
Paris at their brilliant best
After taking a lot of stick recently following what has been branded “after-Barca” period, revengeful Parisians showed their best and it was largely enough to beat the actual leader of French Ligue 1.
There wasn’t any flaw in this PSG:
- Dominant defensively, both on the ground and in the air. We didn’t see much of the rising star Kylian Mbappe, mostly kept under control by “O Monsto” Thiago Silva
- Ability to control the ball from behind and to escape the first line of pressure, Motta being in the starting XI surely had a positive impact on that
- Accurate in the box: the whole forward line (Di Maria, Draxler, Cavani) took part in the scoring board
More of this Angel Di Maria
El Fideo was a poison the whole evening for Monaco defenders. Fast and sharp during offensive transition, the man from Rosario was involved in every PSG moves. He closed his stats sheet with 1 goal and 2 assists and was clearly the key player of the final. What if he could maintain this level at least 80% on a whole season?
Monaco under pressure
Nasser Al-Khelaifi said after the game: “the season starts tonight”. Well let’s hope that’s a visionary talk from PSG boss. This victory may put some more pressure on Monaco in the race for Ligue 1 crown. The coming weeks will tell whether the club from “La Principaute” can handle it or not.